Have you been frustrated with the way your makeup goes on, or doesn't go on?
Have you been frustrated with the way your makeup looks after a short period of time?
We're here to provide you with some game changing tips you may have not even thought of when it comes to your makeup applications.
Your skin greatly effects how makeup goes on. If you have dry skin, your makeup may 'take' in some areas but not in others. If you have oil skin, your makeup breaks down more quickly and sometimes can look cake-y. If you have combination skin...well you get all of the above.
It will also serve you well to remember what we put in our body comes out one way or another. So always: drink water. If you have dry skin, this will help hydrate. If you have oily skin, this will help push impurities out of your skin. Let's face it, very few of us reach our daily recommended water intake anyway. So grab a glass and get to sippin' while you read on!
A great makeup application all starts with a good base. And no, we aren't talking primer...yet.
1. Always remove your makeup before bed with a quality cleanser so your skin can breathe and rejuvenate overnight. We recommend Eminence Organics Skin Care. Night time is when your skin gets a chance to heal. While you are resting, your skin is hard at work repairing and renewing. Give it the tools to do what it needs more easily and you will be happy with the results you see in the morning.
2. After you complete your morning skin care routine (which we hope includes a moisturizer with SPF), let it sit and absorb into the skin for about 15 minutes before applying your makeup.
3. Exfoliate your face. Exfoliation is a game changer when it comes to smooth skin. There are many options, so it's best to test them out and see what works best for your skin care routine. Our favorite combination has been the Eminence Organics Stone Crop Fizzofoliant 2-3 times per week in home and a monthly Dermaplaning Facial for a deep mechanical exfoliation. The Dermaplaning will not only remove dead skin, it will also remove vellus hair (also known as peach fuzz). Peach fuzz isn't something to be ashamed of. We all have it, just some of us have a little more than others. When you have peach fuzz, makeup grabs on to the hair and won't properly sit on your face causing the makeup to accentuate the hair- which, if we are being honest, probably isn't the look you're going for. Dermaplaning will help your skin look more flawless and your makeup application glide onto the skin.
4. Moisturize day & night. Yes, even if you have oily skin you still need to moisturize. It's all about finding the right moisturizer for your skin type. If you have oily skin, you may find the Red Current Moisturizer with SPF gives your skin a matte finish. If you have dry skin, you probably want to go with a moisturizer like the Tropical Vanilla Day Cream with SPF. If your combination, the Bright Skin Moisturizer with SPF may be a perfect option. For a night time moisturizer, we suggest something slightly more heavy than you would use during the day. Remember, this is when your skin is working overtime to repair damage and you want to fuel it with the best ingredients.
5. Make smart makeup choices. We highly suggest Elate Cosmetics. Not only are beautiful, the ingredients in each product are specially picked because of the individual benefits they offer your skin. Many ingredients in the products are known for fighting inflammation and hydrating the skin. If you are going to wear something all day, it may as well be working in your favor. We suggest starting with a primer to even the skin and create a good base. Primers also usually help your makeup look better longer.
6. Apply your makeup with a brush. When you use your fingers, natural oils on your skin will break down the makeup. We suggest using brushes over sponges in most cases, too. Sponges are known for soaking things up. Using them regularly is just soaking the makeup up and basically throwing it away. Brushes are a better option when they have synthetic bristles. Synthetic bristles are less likely to soak up excess product.
7. Once you've finished your makeup application, top it off with a finishing powder. Again, depending on your skin type, you'll want to find one that's best for you. The Elate Mattifying Powder does exactly what you think, it absorbs excess oil throughout the day and give you a matte finish to your skin. The Elate Glowing Powder is great for a subtle shimmer to your overall look. Or for a smidge bit of color, try the Goddess Glow Bronzer.
8. Wash your brushes weekly- at least. Remember, you want to give your skin the tools it needs to create a clean, healthy and glowing canvas. By washing your makeup brushes weekly - at least- you are killing any bacteria built up from the past few days.
Now that's a jam packed article of great tips for getting the best makeup application. Many of the tips are dependent on finding the products that are best for our skin type and concerns. If you need help deciding what is best for you, please reach out to our Esthetician team. They will be more than willing to get you in for a facial where they can not only deep clean and exfoliate the skin, they can also do a skin analysis to help you determine what would help you reach your goals in the quickest way possible.
Schedule your appointment here and be on your way to the best skin you've had.
Washington Green Spa & Wellness
1713 Madison Ave. Suite 110
Washington, MO 63090