At Washington Green Spa, we think it's time to add "halotherapy" to your vocabulary.
“Halos” is the Greek word for “salt.” And salt therapy utilizes pure sodium chloride to treat or heal specific health problems.
You've probably practiced wet salt therapy before without even knowing it. Gargling warm salt water, using a saline nasal spray or neti pot, and taking salt baths is known as wet salt therapy.
But, very soon, you will have the opportunity to experience dry salt therapy at Washington Green Spa! And since many have never heard of this holistic practice, we wanted to give you a proper introduction.
Let’s get started!
What is Halotherapy?
Halotherapy, also known as dry salt therapy, is an alternative medicine practice that involves breathing in tiny salt particles. Many find relief from a wide range of health and wellness concerns when experienced regularly, including respiratory issues, sleeping problems, stress, and more.
More on the benefits of halotherapy in a moment. But first, let's take a more in-depth look at the history of salt therapy.
Origin of Halotherapy
The idea behind salt therapy was first brought to light in 1839. Dr. Felikz Boczowski opened the first salt clinic in Poland after reading a book by another physician that showed salt miners having fewer breathing difficulties than other miners regularly exposed to smoke and dust.
During World War II, salt mines in Germany were turned into bomb shelters. At that time, German physician Dr. Spannahel noted respiratory health benefits among those hiding in the bunkers.
Salt caves began to be explored by physicians in Russia and Ukraine to treat allergy and skincare concerns. In the late 1900s, a halotherapy device was created in Russia at the Institute of Balneology.
From there, the use of salt to treat physical and mental health concerns has spread throughout the world—although it's still a relatively new trend in the United States.
Benefits of Halotherapy
Although modern science is only now beginning to conduct large scale studies on the benefits of halotherapy, proponents of the practice believe that salt therapy may:
Here are a few notable scientific studies supporting the health benefits of halotherapy:
This 2020 review published in Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine concluded that halotherapy positively impacted those with chronic respiratory diseases with "relatively few or no adverse effects."
Another study from 2020 found salt therapy effective and safe for patients after receiving surgery for vasomotor rhinitis—chronic sneezing, congestion, or runny nose. The study even recommends halotherapy in clinical settings to help patients achieve a quicker recovery.
We here at Washington Green Spa hope that modern science continues to explore halotherapy, and more people can reap the healing benefits that we know to be true.
How Does Salt Therapy Work?
So how exactly does salt become breathable? Let's break it down!
A halogenerator breaks salt down into microparticles before dispersing a salt aerosol throughout a temperature and humidity-controlled room.
According to the Salt Therapy Association, the benefits of halotherapy lie in salt's natural properties. Pure sodium chloride is highly absorbent, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial.
As you breathe in the dry salt aerosol, the salt soaks up toxins, allergens and other foreign substances in the lungs and respiratory tract. The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties may also work together to clear out any pathogens wreaking havoc on the airways—allowing the halotherapy recipient to breathe easier.
Imagine a toothbrush gently removing the build-up of foreign substances throughout the respiratory tract. As your airways clear, more oxygen can flow into the body, giving you more energy and strengthening your immune system. Any pollutants, bacteria or other materials are dissolved by the salt or expelled from the body through natural processes.
Skin exposed to the salt air may also benefit from salt's characteristics—eliminating bacteria and reducing inflammation both on and just below the skin's surface. Dry salt may stimulate cell renewal and enhance skin rigidity.
Other Need-To-Knows About Dry Salt Therapy
Until you undergo a salt room experience for yourself, you likely have a lot of questions. Hopefully, we can provide some answers for you here.
Are There Any Side Effects of Salt Therapy
There are no potentially harmful side effects of dry salt therapy. Some people have developed a slight cough or runny nose following their sessions.
However, this is the body’s natural response to the salt working to remove toxins and mucus from the airways.
How Frequently Should I Visit A Dry Salt Room?
Everybody is different. The number of times you need to experience a dry salt treatment will vary depending on your specific symptoms or condition.
In most cases, a series of treatments will achieve the best results. And to keep your progress, it’s a good idea to schedule regular visits to the salt room. We call this “routine maintenance” and it’s these habits that’ll keep you feeling and looking your best!
How Should I Dress For A Salt Room Session?
All spa experiences should leave you feeling relaxed and at ease.
For salt room sessions, we advise wearing loose-fitting, comfortable and light-colored clothing. (Salt particles will be easier to see on darker colors. However, it will not harm your clothing.)
The salt room is typically between 68 and 72 degrees.
Keep that in mind if you tend to get cold easily.
If the purpose of your salt room session is to address a skin condition, you'll want to have as much of the affected area exposed as possible.
Phones, jewelry, and other electronics are not allowed in the Salt Room
since salt can be corrosive.
Of course, if you have further questions, feel free to email or call us at 636-283-5105. We are always happy to help you choose services that are just right for your body’s unique needs.
Not Just A Salt Room
The Dry Salt Room at Washington Green Spa is truly a testament to the values and ethics we hold dear.
We strive to uphold our commitment to being environmentally-friendly in everything we do. With the help of some incredibly dedicated people, we used recycled wood from a demolition project during our salt room construction.
We also used local supplies and talent when possible. We are especially proud to share that one of our very own massage therapists is helping design the Himalayan artwork that will hang on the ceiling!
If you’ve visited us before, you know that Washington Green Spa & Wellness is more than just a spa. We provide total body experiences that are customized to meet your needs.
We want relaxation to greet you the moment you step foot in our spa. And that’s why we’ve put such careful thought into the development of this new service.
At the end of the day, it’s all about you!
Here’s What You Can Expect…
You have the option of booking the Green Spa Salt Room for 20 or 30 minutes, and you can choose to visit alone or as a couple.
As you enter our Salt Room, you'll be drawn in by the feature wall, backlit by Himalayan salt. Enjoy the soft ambient glow of the room as you take a seat. The lights will dim, inviting you to relax a little more.
This is your time. You can read a book or magazine, meditate, or simply rest listening to the soothing music playing in the background.
When your session has ended, you may have a light layer of salt on your lips. Easily brush away any salt that collects on your clothing.
The entire experience should leave you feeling rejuvenated and looking forward to your next session! Not to mention, a visit to the salt room is an amazing treatment to add to a massage or facial for total body wellness and to enhance your relaxation.
Are You Ready To Try The Dry Salt Room Experience?
We've unpacked a lot of information.
In doing so, we hope to help you determine if a visit to our NEW Dry Salt Room is right for you because we'll be opening up scheduling for Halotherapy at Washington Green Spa very soon.
If you'd like to be one of the first to know about all of the new and exciting things we have planned, be sure to join our private VIP Facebook Group,
sign up for our Weekly Wellness Wednesday Newsletter or join our VIP text group by texting JOIN to 844-222-0280.
If you have any questions about halotherapy or any other services, please give us a call at 636-283-5105. We look forward to helping you achieve your health and wellness goals!
the feeling of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation and return kindness.
While it may seem obvious that gratitude is a positive emotion, psychologists are now learning that it can make you happier and change your attitude about life. Studies show that when you stop and count your blessings, you can feel the shift from feeling bad to good. There are also health benefits as well. Practicing gratitude regularly can create a more positive outlook, improved mood, reduced stress and increased fulfillment. Here are some ideas for cultivating an attitude of gratitude in your life.
“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn, or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.”
Have you been frustrated with the way your makeup goes on, or doesn't go on?
Have you been frustrated with the way your makeup looks after a short period of time?
We're here to provide you with some game changing tips you may have not even thought of when it comes to your makeup applications.
Your skin greatly effects how makeup goes on. If you have dry skin, your makeup may 'take' in some areas but not in others. If you have oil skin, your makeup breaks down more quickly and sometimes can look cake-y. If you have combination skin...well you get all of the above.
It will also serve you well to remember what we put in our body comes out one way or another. So always: drink water. If you have dry skin, this will help hydrate. If you have oily skin, this will help push impurities out of your skin. Let's face it, very few of us reach our daily recommended water intake anyway. So grab a glass and get to sippin' while you read on!
A great makeup application all starts with a good base. And no, we aren't talking primer...yet.
1. Always remove your makeup before bed with a quality cleanser so your skin can breathe and rejuvenate overnight. We recommend Eminence Organics Skin Care. Night time is when your skin gets a chance to heal. While you are resting, your skin is hard at work repairing and renewing. Give it the tools to do what it needs more easily and you will be happy with the results you see in the morning.
2. After you complete your morning skin care routine (which we hope includes a moisturizer with SPF), let it sit and absorb into the skin for about 15 minutes before applying your makeup.
3. Exfoliate your face. Exfoliation is a game changer when it comes to smooth skin. There are many options, so it's best to test them out and see what works best for your skin care routine. Our favorite combination has been the Eminence Organics Stone Crop Fizzofoliant 2-3 times per week in home and a monthly Dermaplaning Facial for a deep mechanical exfoliation. The Dermaplaning will not only remove dead skin, it will also remove vellus hair (also known as peach fuzz). Peach fuzz isn't something to be ashamed of. We all have it, just some of us have a little more than others. When you have peach fuzz, makeup grabs on to the hair and won't properly sit on your face causing the makeup to accentuate the hair- which, if we are being honest, probably isn't the look you're going for. Dermaplaning will help your skin look more flawless and your makeup application glide onto the skin.
4. Moisturize day & night. Yes, even if you have oily skin you still need to moisturize. It's all about finding the right moisturizer for your skin type. If you have oily skin, you may find the Red Current Moisturizer with SPF gives your skin a matte finish. If you have dry skin, you probably want to go with a moisturizer like the Tropical Vanilla Day Cream with SPF. If your combination, the Bright Skin Moisturizer with SPF may be a perfect option. For a night time moisturizer, we suggest something slightly more heavy than you would use during the day. Remember, this is when your skin is working overtime to repair damage and you want to fuel it with the best ingredients.
5. Make smart makeup choices. We highly suggest Elate Cosmetics. Not only are beautiful, the ingredients in each product are specially picked because of the individual benefits they offer your skin. Many ingredients in the products are known for fighting inflammation and hydrating the skin. If you are going to wear something all day, it may as well be working in your favor. We suggest starting with a primer to even the skin and create a good base. Primers also usually help your makeup look better longer.
6. Apply your makeup with a brush. When you use your fingers, natural oils on your skin will break down the makeup. We suggest using brushes over sponges in most cases, too. Sponges are known for soaking things up. Using them regularly is just soaking the makeup up and basically throwing it away. Brushes are a better option when they have synthetic bristles. Synthetic bristles are less likely to soak up excess product.
7. Once you've finished your makeup application, top it off with a finishing powder. Again, depending on your skin type, you'll want to find one that's best for you. The Elate Mattifying Powder does exactly what you think, it absorbs excess oil throughout the day and give you a matte finish to your skin. The Elate Glowing Powder is great for a subtle shimmer to your overall look. Or for a smidge bit of color, try the Goddess Glow Bronzer.
8. Wash your brushes weekly- at least. Remember, you want to give your skin the tools it needs to create a clean, healthy and glowing canvas. By washing your makeup brushes weekly - at least- you are killing any bacteria built up from the past few days.
Now that's a jam packed article of great tips for getting the best makeup application. Many of the tips are dependent on finding the products that are best for our skin type and concerns. If you need help deciding what is best for you, please reach out to our Esthetician team. They will be more than willing to get you in for a facial where they can not only deep clean and exfoliate the skin, they can also do a skin analysis to help you determine what would help you reach your goals in the quickest way possible.
Schedule your appointment here and be on your way to the best skin you've had.
Washington Green Spa & Wellness
1713 Madison Ave. Suite 110
Washington, MO 63090