Have you been frustrated with the way your makeup goes on, or doesn't go on?
Have you been frustrated with the way your makeup looks after a short period of time?
We're here to provide you with some game changing tips you may have not even thought of when it comes to your makeup applications.
Your skin greatly effects how makeup goes on. If you have dry skin, your makeup may 'take' in some areas but not in others. If you have oil skin, your makeup breaks down more quickly and sometimes can look cake-y. If you have combination skin...well you get all of the above.
It will also serve you well to remember what we put in our body comes out one way or another. So always: drink water. If you have dry skin, this will help hydrate. If you have oily skin, this will help push impurities out of your skin. Let's face it, very few of us reach our daily recommended water intake anyway. So grab a glass and get to sippin' while you read on!
A great makeup application all starts with a good base. And no, we aren't talking primer...yet.
1. Always remove your makeup before bed with a quality cleanser so your skin can breathe and rejuvenate overnight. We recommend Eminence Organics Skin Care. Night time is when your skin gets a chance to heal. While you are resting, your skin is hard at work repairing and renewing. Give it the tools to do what it needs more easily and you will be happy with the results you see in the morning.
2. After you complete your morning skin care routine (which we hope includes a moisturizer with SPF), let it sit and absorb into the skin for about 15 minutes before applying your makeup.
3. Exfoliate your face. Exfoliation is a game changer when it comes to smooth skin. There are many options, so it's best to test them out and see what works best for your skin care routine. Our favorite combination has been the Eminence Organics Stone Crop Fizzofoliant 2-3 times per week in home and a monthly Dermaplaning Facial for a deep mechanical exfoliation. The Dermaplaning will not only remove dead skin, it will also remove vellus hair (also known as peach fuzz). Peach fuzz isn't something to be ashamed of. We all have it, just some of us have a little more than others. When you have peach fuzz, makeup grabs on to the hair and won't properly sit on your face causing the makeup to accentuate the hair- which, if we are being honest, probably isn't the look you're going for. Dermaplaning will help your skin look more flawless and your makeup application glide onto the skin.
4. Moisturize day & night. Yes, even if you have oily skin you still need to moisturize. It's all about finding the right moisturizer for your skin type. If you have oily skin, you may find the Red Current Moisturizer with SPF gives your skin a matte finish. If you have dry skin, you probably want to go with a moisturizer like the Tropical Vanilla Day Cream with SPF. If your combination, the Bright Skin Moisturizer with SPF may be a perfect option. For a night time moisturizer, we suggest something slightly more heavy than you would use during the day. Remember, this is when your skin is working overtime to repair damage and you want to fuel it with the best ingredients.
5. Make smart makeup choices. We highly suggest Elate Cosmetics. Not only are beautiful, the ingredients in each product are specially picked because of the individual benefits they offer your skin. Many ingredients in the products are known for fighting inflammation and hydrating the skin. If you are going to wear something all day, it may as well be working in your favor. We suggest starting with a primer to even the skin and create a good base. Primers also usually help your makeup look better longer.
6. Apply your makeup with a brush. When you use your fingers, natural oils on your skin will break down the makeup. We suggest using brushes over sponges in most cases, too. Sponges are known for soaking things up. Using them regularly is just soaking the makeup up and basically throwing it away. Brushes are a better option when they have synthetic bristles. Synthetic bristles are less likely to soak up excess product.
7. Once you've finished your makeup application, top it off with a finishing powder. Again, depending on your skin type, you'll want to find one that's best for you. The Elate Mattifying Powder does exactly what you think, it absorbs excess oil throughout the day and give you a matte finish to your skin. The Elate Glowing Powder is great for a subtle shimmer to your overall look. Or for a smidge bit of color, try the Goddess Glow Bronzer.
8. Wash your brushes weekly- at least. Remember, you want to give your skin the tools it needs to create a clean, healthy and glowing canvas. By washing your makeup brushes weekly - at least- you are killing any bacteria built up from the past few days.
Now that's a jam packed article of great tips for getting the best makeup application. Many of the tips are dependent on finding the products that are best for our skin type and concerns. If you need help deciding what is best for you, please reach out to our Esthetician team. They will be more than willing to get you in for a facial where they can not only deep clean and exfoliate the skin, they can also do a skin analysis to help you determine what would help you reach your goals in the quickest way possible.
Schedule your appointment here and be on your way to the best skin you've had.
We have been missing our clients so much over the past 5 weeks! We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time as we reopen and navigate what our new normal in society will look like.
While some people will dive back into society as soon as possible, others likely will pause until certain medical milestones are in place and they feel more comfortable venturing out. Every one will need to find their own comfort zones. Every one will be making similar assessments, likely arriving at diverse conclusions. Your decision may vary for different reasons than another persons; ultimately your safety - physical, mental and financial - is your responsibility. We want to be open and honest about what we are doing in our spa.
Being in the health and wellness industry, we have always followed industry standards and best practices to ensure that our spa has been clean and safe for our clients and our staff. The majority of what we had done in the past was behind the scenes. We have added a few new precautions at this time. We will outline our protocols and what we are asking of our clients to help ensure we are all in this together.
We held a mandatory all staff meeting the day before we reopened to review our policies and talk about new things we will be doing to ensure all of our team members are on the same page. We have also added an additional class required for all new team members in the future.
Below you will find a brief outline of our commitment to you and what we are asking of you in return. We value the health and wellness of our clients and our team members. The number one thing on both ends is to reschedule appointments if we/you are ill or have any symptoms associated with a communicable illness.
When you call to schedule an appointment, especially if it's within 24 hours, we will be asking you if you have or have recently had a fever, fatigue, dry cough or difficulty breathing.
As always, you will receive an appointment reminder via email and text. We will be updating any policies, if needed, over the next few weeks and you will find any new information in your emails so you'll know what to expect when you arrive.
If you are a new client, we ask that you complete your New Client Intake form (link found in your email) before you arrive. By doing this online, you help save trees + it's less time you'll need to spend in our reception area.
When you arrive for your appointment we ask that you remain in your car or have a seat on our outside bench. Once your service provider has fully sanitized the treatment room and is ready for your appointment, they will call you to come in. We still suggest arriving 5-10 minutes before your appointment. *If you have not completed you New Client Intake Form online, please come in when you arrive and see the Wellness Coordinator at the desk for a paper form.
When you enter the spa we are asking all clients to sanitize or wash their hands immediately. You will find a small table next to the front door with sanitizer or you can proceed to the bathroom.
Our staff will be wearing masks. At this time, it is optional for clients to wear masks. If you wish to have a mask but did not bring your own, we have disposable masks available for purchase at cost.
We are asking that only guests with scheduled appointments or those who are making a purchase come into the spa. Any family or friends waiting for a client will need to wait outside. The exception would be children under 16 receiving a service. Those children are required to have 1 parent/guardian in the treatment room. That parent/guardian will be required to answer all pre-screen questions and wear a mask during the session.
Before your appointment begins, you service provider will ask basic questions related to COVID symptoms before having you sign a waiver.
Our service providers will be wearing masks and aprons that are changed between each client. We have also added this bins to each treatment room for clients to place their belonging during a session. Since the bins have a hard surface, we can better sanitize them between sessions. We also sanitize all surfaces the client or the service provider has come into contact with in the treatment rooms between each session.
(See the check list below for a full overview of surfaces we disinfect)
If a client wishes to wear a mask during their treatment, we will be able to adjust you positioning on the table to allow for better breathing. For example, instead of laying on your stomach with your face in the cradle, we could have you lay side-lying to receive massage on your back and glutes.
Your service provider will wash their hands in the treatment room both immediately upon entering the room and before exiting the room at the end of the session. (In the past, they had washed their hands in the break room before entering to allow for more quiet time for the client on the table.) If a sink is not available in the treatment room, the service provider will wash their hands in the break room + use hand sanitizer immediately upon entering the treatment room.
You may also find your service provider using hand sanitizer during the session if they had been working your hands or before they touch your face if they had been working on a separate area of the body.
Blankets have been removed from treatment tables but are still available upon request and washed along with all linens after each session. If you're chilly, please speak up! We have no problem grabbing a blanket for you. We always want our guests to be comfortable and cozy during sessions.
Checklist: Clean & Disinfect hard surfaces and high touch areas with professional grade disinfectants.
Some of these measures may seem extreme and we always have the option to revise them, but for now, this is our new reality.
Even the best scientists and doctors are still unsure, with such a new virus, just how the virus spreads and what measures will prevent the spread of COVID-19, and therefore, although we are taking all necessary and advisable precautions, we simply cannot guarantee that if you enter the spa you will be 100% protected from the virus.
As long as you are willing to abide by the protective measures we require of our clients, such as washing hands upon entry and cancelling if you or anyone in your household is sick with COVID-19 symptoms or has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 30 days, as listed in full in your confirmation emails and at our front desk, we welcome you into our spa.
We look forward to making you feel amazing again!
In times like this where we are being bombarded with messages and information causing stress, anxiety and fear it is vital to be mindful of our mental health & wellness. We've listed a few self-care basics that have been proven to assist in maintaining a healthy mental state of mind.
1. Stay Hydrated - water is your best option
2. Get The Rest You Need - optimally, 7-9 hours per night, if possible
3. Eat Healthy, Nutrient Rich Foods - skip the processed, high sugary foods
4. Move! - You can find a ton of free workouts online right now or take a hike. Fresh air is great for you at a time like this.
5. Turn The Screens Off - we recommend turning your screens off at least 2 hours before bed, however, if the things you are reading and watching are stressing you out, turn them off for the whole day.
Looking for more inspiration on ways to relieve stress & anxiety? Follow us on Facebook. We will be posting easy ways to change it up daily and help you keep your mental state of mind positive.
Washington Green Spa & Wellness
1713 Madison Ave. Suite 110
Washington, MO 63090